Mystery Writers Key West Fest Schedule
Friday, June 13, 2014
Registration/Opening Ceremonies/Bar Stroll
3 – 5 p.m., DoubleTree Grand Key Resort, Hotel and conference check-in.
5 – 8 p.m – Smokin’ Tuna Saloon, Opening Ceremonies: Short welcoming address by Chief Donie Lee, KWPD, and Sheriff Rick Ramsey, Monroe County Sheriff. Mayor Craig Cates will officially proclaim Mystery Writers Weekend in Key West. Murder & Mayhem Band with Don Bruns, Mike Dennis and Hal Howland. Meet and greet the authors and conference attendees.
8 – 10 p.m. – Bar stroll: Join renowned author W.E.B. Griffin (William Butterworth IV) and Jim Linder, military contractor and retired Navy officer with the JIATF (Joint InterAgency Task Force, South) for a stroll to some of the preferred Key West lairs of authors, actors, detectives and shady ne’er-do-well’s: Hog’s Breath Saloon, Fairvilla Megastore (free rum punch in Key West’s home for Fantasy Fest costumes), Pat Croce’s Rum Barrel and the waterfront Schooner Wharf Bar.
*Subject to change
Saturday, June 14, 2014
Author/Publisher/Crime Expert Panels
Group Book Signing Event
Viewing of Film Noir Classic RAW DEAL at the Tropic Cinema
<p8:30 – 10 a.m. Women of Mystery
1. Sandra Balzo – MWA – Award winning author of crime fiction
2. Nancy J. Cohen – MWA – Award winning mystery and romance author
3. Miriam Auerbach – MWA – Author of the Dirty Harriet mysteries
4. Carla Norton – MWA – True-crime and mystery thriller author
5. Heather Graham – MWA – New York Times bestselling author
Moderator Jeremiah Healy – MWA – Creator of the John Francis Cuddy private-investigator series and author (aka “Terry Devane”) of the Mairead O’Clare legal thrillers
10 – 11:30 a.m. Importance of Getting Locale Right
1. Jonathan Woods – Award winning crime story writer
2. Hal Howland – Author of the acclaimed detective thriller Landini Cadence
3. Robert Coburn – Titles include A Loose Knot, A Deadly Deception and The Pink Gun
4. Michael Haskins – Author of Mad Mick Murphy Key West mystery series; co-founder of MWKWF
Moderator Sandra Balzo – MWA – Award-winning author of the Maggy Thorsen Coffeehouse Mystery series and the Main Street Murders series
11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Buffet luncheon (included in ticket price) with guest author William E. Butterworth IV (W.E.B. Griffin) who will discuss writing and his career as an editor, novelist and co-author with his father, William E. Butterworth III.
1:30 – 3 pm Writing the Series
1. Don Bruns – MWA – Award winning mystery writer
2. Mike Dennis – Crime and Noir fiction novelist
3. Heather Graham – New York Times bestselling author
4. Jeremiah Healy – MWA – Award winning author of novels and short story collections.
Moderator: Carla Norton – True-crime and mystery thriller writer; author of The Edge of Normal and Disturbed Ground; co-author of Perfect Victim
3 – 4:30 pm ePublishing – Today’s Reality
1. Neil S. Plakcy – MWA – Writer of mystery, adventure/romance, and gay erotica
2. Shirrel Rhoades – Publisher, author, film critic and co-founder of MWKWF
3. Wayne Gales – Author of Treasure Key and Key West Camouflage
4. Sheri Lohr – Publisher, editor, author and proprietor of SeaStory Press
Moderator: Mark Howell – Award winning journalist, editor and investigative reporter
4:30 – 6 pm Crime in the Florida Keys
1. Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsey
2. Key West PD Chief Donie Lee
3. U.S. Coast Guard Captain Jim Fitton (Ret.)
4. True Crime writer and journalist Terry Schmida
5. Jim Linder, Joint Interagency Task Force – JIATF/DEA (Ret.)
Moderator: Bill Becker – US1 Radio News Director
6 – 7 p.m., Group Book Signing. Panelists and authors attending the conference will hold a group book signing by the hotel’s outdoor bar.
9 p.m., Tropic Cinema, Noir & Hollywood, RAW DEAL (1948)
Dennis O’Keefe, Claire Trevor, John Ireland, Raymond Burr.
Director: Anthony Mann.
*Subject to change
One of the toughest noirs of all time. O’Keefe escapes from prison with Trevor’s help, looking to settle a score with Burr, who is hundreds of miles away. The journey won’t be easy, though, because the cops are never far behind him, and neither is Ireland, whom Burr has dispatched to intercept him. Not only that, but he’s torn between the two women traveling with him.
Mann’s sharp direction shows how thoroughly he understands film noir, while cinematographer John Alton skillfully mixes shadows, light, and angles to provide breathtaking visuals. O’Keefe is perfect as the conflicted loner in this great film, and Burr is at his absolute vilest. The tension rises to incredible heights, pulling the viewer to the uncompromising, violent climax.
Discussion of the movie led by Key West noir writer Mike Dennis. Two admission tickets included in Registration fee. Additional tickets for attendee’s guests may be purchased for $5.00 each at the door. Non-festival tickets available to the general public for $10.00 each at the door.